One of my husband’s favorite meals is classic biscuits & gravy. When we decided to eat vegan at home, this was one of the first recipes I worked on.
The first time I tested it was on mashed potatoes, and he said “I wouldn’t mind eating this on some biscuits soon.” So, I know it’s good & gravy-like. It starts out a little runny, but with some heat and consistent stirring, it gets gravy-goopy and perfect in just a few minutes.
Pop some biscuits in the oven and let’s get to gravy makin’.
This recipe makes a batch large enough for 4 biscuits.
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (almond and soy work best)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste (I use 1/4 tsp)
- dry rubbed sage, to taste (I use 1/4 tsp)
- Add all ingredients to a medium-sized skillet and whisk together until evenly distributed.
- Turn heat to medium-high, and stir continuously until desired consistency has been reached. It should only take a few minutes for gravy to thicken up.
Turn this into a sausage gravy by adding in some veggie sausage crumbles! My favorite brand is Lightlife Foods. Just throw some in a skillet with a little olive oil, brown them up, and add them into your gravy once it’s all cooked & thickened.