Hello, and welcome to my childhood, veganized.
Yes, that’s right, today we are making a childhood staple……..chicken salad sandwiches (minus the chicken, cuz…vegan). I used to love these sandwiches when I was a kid. Something about the creamy mayo, the tangy hint of mustard, the crunchy grapes…the only thing I hated about this sandwich was the celery my mom put in it. So, just a heads up…if you’re a celery kinda gal/fella, then feel free to add celery to this recipe. But…I wouldn’t. Because celery is gross.
Okay I’m hungry soooooo here we go.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (I use Vegenaise)
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard (or dijon if u fancy)
- 2 teaspoons dill relish
- 2/3 cup red grapes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- dash of dried dill
- dash of garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
Make it a sandwich! Add whole grain bread, lettuce, and cucumber to the ingredients list.
- Drain the garbanzo beans and rinse them. Pat dry and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add vegan mayo and stir until evenly distributed.
- Use a fork to mash the mixture. You want about 1/2 the garbanzo beans to be mashed, and 1/2 to still be whole. This gives the mixture a nice ratio between mushy and hearty.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients and mix together.
- Spoon the mixture onto a sandwich and…nom.
That’s it! So easy, so yummy, so nostalgic. Let me know what you think if you try this sammie!